First section of wattle fence done

I would have preferred to use broad leaf ligustrum as my weavers but I didn’t have the time or money to harvest so frilling many to have a fence made out of them.  Instead I found a guy who had just cleared out a batch of invasive bamboo and had a thousand linear feet or so. I had him trim off the leafy bits and leave me with the straight stalks.  Driving in the posts (juniper that don’t rot in 20 years) took me 6 man hours. Weaving in the wattles took 2 man hours.  Total length that I built is 32 feet.

The poles will be cut level, when I am done.

This is the effect of not having my posts in a good line. Also some poles had a bit of crooked to them.

Lessons learned:

  • Green bamboo is more flexible and better.
  • Once the diameter is over 1″ it becomes hard to weave
  • Make sure your posts are lined up!  Use a tight line to guide you.  I got off a little and it caused some bamboo to break around that pole.

Posted in news and tagged , by with comments disabled.